I am an animal lover and an advocate for species at risk. I have pledged to raise awareness and funds for elephants and rhinos. I advocate on behalf of elephants and rhinos who are poached, elephants who are enslaved in entertainment or in horrific conditions as working animals. (Asian Tourism, circus elephants).
I am also the co-organizer for the second annual Global March for Elephants and Rhinos on October 3rd, 2015. I am grateful for my co-organizers Fran, Andrea, Jake and Christine at Elephanatics who have jumped into the madness with me along with the growing number of incredible volunteers, not the least of whom is Dave who works tirelessly for animals.
Please find a city near you or better yet organize a march in your city! Without our help, without a global effort these two species face extinction.
- Last year 137 cities, and over 50,000 people marched. Let’s double it this year. Let’s scream and yell and make our voices heard. Let’s change this outcome for these animals. Come on. Let’s do it.
- Last year 35,000 elephants were poached, 100 a day, or 1 every 15 minutes. There is a growing market for ivory from China with the US being the second biggest market for ivory. Political instability and terror groups use ivory to fund their activities. Ivory is now worth more than gold. Poaching is wreaking havoc on elephant populations and on communities.
- Less than 100 years ago 5 million elephants roamed Africa. 90 percent of them are now gone. On our watch.
- Rhino horn is prized for its “medicinal” properties. This miseducation has left us with only 25,000 rhinos and a rapidly growing market in Vietnam and Asia.
- Ivory funds terrorism. Elephants and rhinos cannot fight the war that is being waged against them without our/your help.
You can find out more about the Global March for Elephants and Rhinos right here. Find your city and join the many others who are lending their time and effort to speak up on their behalf.
Here are some pictures from last year’s march.
The Vancouver march will be held at the Vancouver Public Library North Plaza from 12:00 pm to 2:00 om Saturday October 3rd. Join us. These guys need all the help they can get. We’ll have music, speakers, face painters, cool stuff for sale and of course we’ll sign petitions and make as much noise as we can so the world hears and responds to this urgent issue.
Join the Vancouver march here.
Find your city here.