For Christmas dinner Dave and I each chose different dishes to prepare. I chose paella as a main and he chose Israeli Salad and Gluten-free ginger cake for dessert. The Israeli Salad seems so basic that I was surprised that we hadn’t run into it somewhere before along our culinary travels but we hadn’t. The best way of describing it is ‘fresh’. It’s fresh and wonderful. He got the recipe from allrecipes.com where they have the handy portion calculator.
This recipe serves two:
- 2-1/2 cucumbers, diced
- 1-1/2 roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3/8 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
Toss the cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, garlic, parsley, and mint together in a bowl. Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice over the salad and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to serve. Dave chopped all the vegetables in quite small pieces which I really liked. That way each bite you get a little taste of everything.